Using two monitors while working on your computer is very useful. The extra space allows us to be better organised and to see more things at all times. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to buy a second monitor, or does not have enough space to keep it in a comfortable place. However, if we have an iPad or iPhone, we can make it work as a second monitor for our computer. If you have a Mac, chances are your iPad will be easy to connect thanks to the Sidecar feature. If your Mac doesn’t have this feature, or you’re using a PC, you will need to install a helpful app that allows your iPad and iPhone to act as a second monitor.
Which devices include Sidecar?
Sidecar is a helpful feature that is available on certain Apple devices. This feature allows you to use additional Apple device as a second screen. Sidecar is available on MacBooks that run macOS Catalina and on iPads running iPadOS13. Here is the list of all devices that are compatible with the sidecar feature:
How to Use iPad as a Second Monitor by using Sidecar on MAC?
- Make sure that you’re logged in with the same Apple ID/iCloud account on both your iPad and your Mac.
- Turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on both devices. Connect both devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your Mac, go to the Settings, then General and turn on the Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices setting.
- On your iPad, go to the Settings and choose General as well to enable the Handoff option.
- Then on Mac again, click on the menu bar and connect to your iPad.
- When your Mac will connect to your iPad, the sidecar icon will change to AirPlay. Click on that icon again and make sure that under the AirPlay section the Use As Separate Display option is selected.
How to use iPad/iPhone as a Second Monitor by using Splashtop Wired XDisplay?
- On your PC/Mac, go to splashtop.com to download the app.
- Install the app and start it on your computer. You can adjust the framerate and quality, but it is recommended to set it as high.
- On your iPad or iPhone, go to the App Store and download Splashtop Wired XDisplay app.
- Open the app and connect your iPad/iPhone to your computer by using a cable.
- The device will be automatically detected on your computer if both devices have the app opened. In case any of your device will ask for access, allow the app to get the access.
- Now your iPad/iPhone should be working as a second monitor. To arrange the display, find the display settings on your computer.
Visit our Social Media